Monday, 5 December 2016
Notes: 1. Please note that these Minutes are to be considered DRAFT until confirmed by the Commission
2. Underlining indicates a new or amended recommendation approved by Commission.
3. Except where otherwise indicated, reports requiring Council consideration will be presented to Council on 14 December 2016 in Transit Commission Report 12.
Mr. John Manconi, General Manager, Transportation Services Department provided a PowerPoint presentation on the 2017 draft Operating and Capital Budget – Transit Commission. A copy of the presentation is held on file with the City Clerk and Solicitor’s office.
The Commission received the following written submission, a copy of the submissions is held on file with the City Clerk and Solicitor’s office:
• First United Church, petition in support of the Low Income Transit Pass
• Ms. Kimberly Peterson, Ottawa Seniors Transportation Committee, Council on Aging of Ottawa (COA)
The Commission received the following public delegations:
• Mary Gregoire-Lyons* spoke to Para Transpo from a Seniors’ perspective and the Para Transpo telephone booking system.
• Hélène Nadeau, Accessibility Advisory Committee* spoke in supports that the City is continuing to keep accessibility funding as a priority, the addition of 17 new accessible buses to the fleet and the AAC is encourage to see the transit initiatives in the draft budget for accessibility enhancements.
• David Jeanes, Transport Action spoke in support of the EquiPass however he believed that it should have a single fare option.
• Vicky Kyriaco, Ottawa Student Transportation Authority (OSTA)* spoke to the Student pass and to keep the pass at the current rate, re-evaluate the requirement for young riders to produce personal identification to justify the discounted pass and to continue with paper tickets until an alternate single fare system is in place that does not require a Presto card or e-purse
• Jesse Root, Student Federation of the University of Ottawa spoke in favor of the EquiPass as it will help part time students, who do not have the UPass
• Geoff Stiles, Healthy Transportation Coalition* spoke to a PowerPoint presentation in support of the new low income transit pass, however the cost should be lowered to the same as the Community Pass and the need for a discounted single-ride fare for low-income people who cannot afford a monthly pass.
• Heather Stecher spoke in favour of the removal of the Para Transpo top-up for using conventional system and spoke to the importance of the an online booking system for Para Transpo users.
• Sally Thomas spoke in favour of the EquiPass and to new hires for Para Transpo Taxis that are not proficient in either English or French. Also spoke on accessible infrastructure for accessing bus stops.
• Jean Clark* who spoke about bus service in Blackbyrn Hamlet and seeking equitable bus service. Provided a petition with 71 signatures.
• Naheed Khan and Tong Zhao-Ansari, City for all Women Initiative (CAWI)* spoke in favour of the EquiPass but would also like to see a single fare options for low income users.
• Kathleen Forting, ACORN spoke in favour of the EquiPass but would like to see the cost lowered, suggest a $2 fee for parking at a Park and Ride. Also spoke to the decrease in Para Transpo booking service reliability
• Alex Cullen*, spoke to a PowerPoint presentation in support of on a EquiPass but the pas should be priced lowered.
[ * Individuals / groups marked with an asterisk above either provided comments in writing or by e-mail; all submissions are held on file with the City Clerk. ]
Mr. Manconi along with Mr. Pat Scrimgeour, Assistant General Manager, Customer Systems and Planning, Mr. Troy Charter, Assistant General Manager, Transit Operations, Transportation Services Department and Isabelle Jasmin, Deputy City Treasurer Corporate Finance, Corporate Services Department responded to questions from Commissioners.
Following the questions, the Commission considered the following motion:
MOTION NO OTC 20 / 1
Moved by Councillor M. Qaqish
That the Transit Commission recommends that Council, sitting as Committee of the Whole, approve the Transit Commission 2017 Draft Operating and Capital Budget, including amended pages 6 and 7, as follows:
1. Transit Services as follows:
i) User fees (p. 4);
ii) Operating Resource Requirement (p. 3);
iii) Transit Commission Capital Funding Summary (p. 5 and 6).
CARRIED as amended
Mr. John Manconi, General Manager, Transportation Services Department, provided a PowerPoint presentation on the Presto Smartcard Operating Agreement. A copy of the presentation is held on file with the City Clerk and Solicitor’s office.
Mr. Manconi along with Mr. Pat Scrimgeour, Assistant General Manager, Customer Systems and Planning, Transportation Services Department responded to questions from Commissioners.
Following the questions, the report recommendations were put to the Commission and CARRIED as presented.
Committee Coordinator Chair