Environment and Climate
Tuesday, 21 February 2017
Champlain Room, 110 Laurier Avenue West
Notes: 1. Please note that the Minutes are to be considered DRAFT until confirmed by Committee.
2. Underlining indicates a new or amended recommendation approved by Committee.
3. Except where otherwise indicated, reports requiring Council consideration will be presented to Council on Wednesday 8 March 2017 in Environment and Climate Protection Committee Report 13.
At the outset, Chair Chernushenko reminded everyone in attendance why the City
had deemed the development of a Renewable Energy Technologies Strategy (RETS)
a Term of Council priority. He cited ongoing changes to global economics, the politics of energy, and ongoing changes to the global climate as a few of the many reasons the City should seize upon opportunities to build a greater quality of life for its residents.
A copy of the Chair’s remarks is held on file with the City Clerk.
At the outset, Ms. Lee Ann Snedden, Acting Director, Planning Services (PS), Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development (PIED) Dept., introduced Ms. Marica Clarke, Program Manager, Natural Systems Policy, Natural Systems Unit, Policy Planning, PS, PIED, and Ms. Andrea Flowers, Program Manager, Consultation, Business Support Services, PIED.
Ms. Snedden then spoke to a PowerPoint slide presentation overview of the report. A copy of the presentation is held on file with the City Clerk. Also present were Councillors Marianne Wilkinson and Jan Harder, Chair of the City’s Planning Committee.
The Committee then heard from the following individuals, largely in support of
the report recommendations, but also offering caveats regarding: the perceived speed of the process; the likelihood of its implementation in a timely fashion; the need to closely monitor both the City’s carbon footprint and its air quality, and; the need for community engagement and push-back on climate change denial, among others.
• Mr. Don Grant*, Energy Services Acquisition Program, Public Services and Procurement Canada, Government of Canada
• Mr. Daniel Dicaire, Ottawa Community Housing
• Mr. Mike Carson, Chief Financial Officer and Superintendent of Facilities, OCDSB
• Mr. Michael Murr, Executive Director, EnviroCentre
• Ms. Angela Keller-Herzog*
• Ms. Judith Matheson
• Mr. Graham Saul, Ecology Ottawa
• Mr. Ken Johnson
• Ms. Natividad Urquizo, A-Maps Environmental Inc.
• Mr. Chris Young, Stoked Power Generation Ltd., Ontario Sustainable Energy Association
• Ms. Janice Ashworth, Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-op
• Mr. Paul Beckwith*, University of Ottawa, Carleton University
Written comments were also received at the meeting from the following individuals:
• Ms. Carolyn Herbert*
• Mr. Daniel Spitzer*, A-Maps Environmental Inc.
[ * Individuals / groups marked with an asterisk above either provided comments in writing or by e-mail; all submissions are held on file with the City Clerk. ]
Committee’s questions to staff, and discussions, touched upon points addressed
in the staff presentation and in the delegates’ presentations, and included issues of Provincial involvement and support. With the understanding that this is primarily an interim information report, staff were advised to set clear targets,
and to build solid business cases to help develop strategies that could effect meaningful change.
Discussions having concluded, Councillor Moffatt introduced the following Motion.
In response to questions from the Committee, Councillor Moffatt explained the rationale to include Councillor Hubley was because the Councillor had expressed interest in participating on the Sponsors Group. The Committee discussed the possibility of deferring its decision to Council’s meeting of 8 March, at which time others could also express their interest. Councillor Moffatt said that he wished his Motion to be voted upon at the present meeting, as originally moved.
The Motion was then considered by Committee and was ‘CARRIED’, with Councillors J. Leiper and C. McKenney dissenting.
There being no further discussion, the report recommendations were put before Committee and were ‘CARRIED’, as amended by Motion NO ECP 13/01, along with the Direction to Staff noted further below.
CARRIED, as amended
The meeting was adjourned at 11:50 a.m.
Committee Coordinator Chair