Planning Committee / Comité de l'urbanisme
January 24, 2017 / 24 janvier 2017
and Council / et au Conseil
February 8, 2017 / 8 février 2017
Submitted on December 13, 2016
Soumis le 13 décembre 2016
Lee Ann Snedden,
Acting Director / Directrice par intérim
Planning Services / Service de la planification
Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department / Services de la planification, de l’infrastructure et du développement économique
Contact Person / Personne ressource:
Shoma Murshid, Planner II / Urbaniste II, Development Review East / Examen des demandes d’aménagement est / Planning Services / Service de la planification Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department / Services de la planification, de l’infrastructure et du développement économique
(613) 580-2424, 15430, Shoma.Murshid@ottawa.ca
Ward: INNES (2)
File Number: ACS2017-PIE-PLS-0001
SUBJECT: Zoning By-law Amendment – Parts of 6219, 6227 Renaud Road
OBJET: Modification au Règlement de zonage – Parties du 6219, 6227, chemin Renaud
1. That Planning Committee recommend Council approve an amendment to Zoning By-law 2008-250 for parts of 6219, 6227 Renaud Road to permit eight on-street townhouse dwellings as detailed in Document 2.
2. That Planning Committee approve the Consultation Details Section of this report be included as part of the ‘brief explanation’ in the Summary of Written and Oral Public Submissions, to be prepared by the City Clerk and Solicitor’s Office and submitted to Council in the report titled, “Summary of Oral and Written Public Submissions for Items Subject to Bill 73 ‘Explanation Requirements’ at the City Council Meeting of 8 February 2017 subject to submissions received between the publication of this report and the time of Council’s decision.
RECOMMANDATIONS DU RAPPORT
1. Que le Comité de l’urbanisme recommande au Conseil d’approuver une modification au Règlement de zonage 2008-250 visant des parties des 6219 et 6227, chemin Renaud, afin de permettre la construction de huit unités d’habitation en rangée sur rue, comme l’expose en détail le document 2.
2. Que le Comité de l’urbanisme donne son approbation à ce que la section du présent rapport consacrée aux détails de la consultation soit incluse en tant que « brève explication » dans le résumé des observations écrites et orales, qui sera rédigé par le Bureau du greffier municipal et de l’avocat général et soumis au Conseil dans le rapport intitulé « Résumé des observations orales et écrites du public sur les questions assujetties aux ‘exigences d'explication’ aux termes du projet de loi 73 », à la réunion du Conseil municipal du 8 février 2017, à la condition que les observations aient été reçues entre le moment de la publication du présent rapport et le moment de la décision du Conseil.
Learn more about link to Development Application process - Zoning Amendment
For all the supporting documents related to this application visit the link to Development Application Search Tool.
Parts of 6219, 6227 Renaud Road
Richcraft Homes Ltd.
Phil Castro, Richcraft Homes Ltd.
Description of site and surroundings
The sites are located on the north side of Renaud Road between Penency Terrace and Melodie Street, within Orleans East Urban Community. The area to the north is currently being developed through the subdivision process, marketed locally as Trailsedge.
The portions of 6219 and 6227 Renaud Road subject to this application are approximately 330 square metres and 353 square metres, respectively. When combined with the Melodie Street block to the north, as discussed below, the entire block is approximately 1,800 square metres. The lands to be rezoned contain existing sheds, which will be demolished to permit the future development. Refer to Document 1 – Location Map.
Summary of requested Zoning By-law amendment proposal
The proposal would see the lands changed from the current Development Reserve (DR) zoning to Residential Third Density Subzone Z (R3Z), to match the existing zoning for the block along the south side of Melodie Street. This application has been made to fulfill conditions of the Committee of Adjustment in granting a lot line adjustment and severance for the lands at 6219 and 6227 Renaud Road.
This rezoning would permit the proposed eight townhouse unit development along Melodie Street.
Brief history of proposal
6219 and 6227 Renaud Road were subject to two Consent to Sever Committee of Adjustment Decisions, D08-01-16/B-00207 and D08-01-16/B-00209. The applications were approved subject to conditions, one of which was to rezone the northern portions of 6219 and 6227 Renaud Road to match the block abutting to the north, previously registered under a plan of subdivision and known legally as Block 1, Plan 4M-1530. Block 1 is currently zoned R3Z. If the Zoning By-law amendment is approved, the northern portions of 6219 and 6227 Renaud Road will be severed and a lot line adjustment shall occur to add these parts to Block 1, Plan 4M-1530. This will permit the development of eight on-street freehold townhouse dwellings on a site with an appropriate zone and development standards.
The lands are also concurrently subject to a Site Plan Control application (D07-12-16-0148), as well as a Lifting of 30 centimetre Reserve application (D07-02-16-0026) to permit the development of eight new townhouse units.
Notice of this application was circulated to surrounding landowners and one standard City sign was installed on site giving notice of this Zoning By-law amendment in accordance with the Council approved policy for Public Notification and Consultation and the Planning Act.
No public comments were received.
Official Plan designation
The Official Plan designates this site General Urban Area on Schedule B, which permits a wide range of uses including all types and densities of housing, employment, retail, service, industrial, cultural, leisure, greenspace, entertainment and institutional uses. The proposed use is permitted within this designation.
Other applicable policies and guidelines
The site is located within Phase 1 of the East Urban Community’s Community Design Plan (EUC CDP Phase 1). Subdivisions in this area include single detached, semidetached, townhouse and stacked townhouse units. The proposal conforms to the policies of the EUC CDP.
Urban Design Review Panel
The subject sites are not located within a Design Priority Area; therefore the Panel did not review this application.
The Zoning By-law amendment reflects both the intent of the Official Plan and the East Urban Community Design Plan Phase 1. The rezoning is required in order to fulfill the lot line adjustment / consent to sever conditions. Once the lands are rezoned R3Z and joined with the lands to the north, the proposed development will be permitted.
Provincial Policy Statement
Staff have reviewed this proposal and have determined that it is consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement, 2014.
There are no rural implications with this zoning amendment.
COMMENTS BY THE WARD COUNCILLOR
Councillor Mitic is aware of the application related to this report.
There are no legal implications associated with adopting the recommendations contained within this report. The recommendations facilitate the clearing of conditions established by the Committee of Adjustment.
RISK MANAGEMENT IMPLICATIONS
There are no risk management implications associated with this report.
There are no direct financial implications.
There are no accessibility impacts associated with this report.
TERM OF COUNCIL PRIORITIES
This proposed Zoning By-law amendment application addresses the following Term of Council Priorities:
• Sustainable Environmental Services
• Healthy and Caring Communities
• Governance, Planning and Decision-Making
APPLICATION PROCESS TIMELINE STATUS
This application was processed by the On Time Decision Date established for the processing of Zoning By-law amendment applications.
Document 1 Location Map / Zoning Key Plan
Document 2 Details of Recommended Zoning
Document 3 Overview Data Sheet
This proposal is in conformity with the Provincial Policy Statement, and the City’s Official Plan.
Staff recommend the lands be rezoned to Residential Third Density Subzone Z, (R3Z) to permit the development of eight freehold townhouse dwellings.
The department recommends that the application be approved.
Office of the City Clerk and Solicitor, Legislative Services, to notify the owner; applicant; OttawaScene Canada Signs, 1565 Chatelain Avenue, Ottawa, ON K1Z 8B5; Krista O’Brien, Deputy City Treasurer Revenue Branch, Corporate Services (Mail Code: 2676) of City Council’s decision.
Zoning and Interpretations Unit, Planning Services to prepare the implementing by-law and forward to Legal Services.
Legal Services to forward the implementing by-law to City Council.
Circulation Services Unit, Planning Services to undertake the statutory notification.
Document 1 – Location Map
The sites are located on the north side of Renaud Road between Penency Terrace and Melodie Street, within Orleans’ East Urban Community.
Document 2 – Details of Recommended Zoning
The proposed change to the City of Ottawa Zoning By-law 2008-250 for part of 6219 and 6227 Renaud Road is to rezone the lands, shown on Document 1, from DR to R3Z.